Arthur Ashe – Champion

My artwork is about Arthur Ashe, who was the first African American tennis player to win Wimbledon. Surprisingly, he remains the only African American to have won it, even after this victory all the way back in 1975. This artwork was inspired by my love of tennis, as I have been playing since I was around 7 years old. I incorporated colors of blues and greens into my artwork because I thought they really worked well together with my image that I picked. The title of my work is Arthur Ashe: Champion. I chose this because he is seen as a true champion of the sport of tennis, being the one and only man of color to win the most sought after and prestigious tennis tournament in the whole world. I chose an iconic picture of Arthur to base my artwork off of and thought many might recognize and appreciate it more if they knew exactly who he is based off of that picture. I first used photoshop to get the outline of him with his tennis racquet in the picture away from the background that it was originally taken with. I then transferred the picture over to Adobe Illustrator where I chose the color scheme and did the other details for my artwork. During the creation of my artwork, I learned new and different techniques in both the photoshop and illustrator apps. I really enjoyed the creation of this poster, implementing different designs that really made the picture of Arthur Ashe stand out.